4.21.2007

Weekend Projects

It's 77 degrees out and I just came in from an afternoon of planting. It's the first really nice weekend we've had in a couple of weeks and we didn't have any plans today, so we took a trip to Lowe's and Home Depot to get supplies for two projects we've been wanting to do. As you've seen, we've acquired a number of plants in the past month as birthday and housewarming gifts. It was time to get them planted! Ted has also had his eye on a woodworking project for a couple of months and decided that it was time to get cracking.

Once I got home with the top soil and mulch, I realized that some of the plants we got won't do well in the front of the house because they need some shade. I had to pop back out to the store and find a few things that would do well in full sun.

Everyone in the neighborhood seemed to be out today doing yard work, so we chit chatted with Nathan and Rhonda next door. Nathan had just finished with his tiller and offered to let me use it for my project, and I gladly accepted. Our soil is made of clay and rock, so digging is a nightmare. The tiller worked like a charm and I was done in about 10 minutes. Awesome.


Green Thumb Weazie 1, Tiller 0


Meanwhile Ted got busy building his wooden magazine holders. He wants to make a work bench that he found in a magazine too, but decided to start off small. He's been sawing and hammering for a couple of hours and they look adorable so far. He still needs to sand and stain them, but the "building" portion is complete. I think he should go for the bench tomorrow!






It's about 5:30 now and I've grown tired of yard work. I ran out of mulch and still have some plants to put in the ground, so I'll have to pick back up tomorrow. I think it looks pretty good so far though! I bagged the idea of a raised garden bed because I found some instructions and it was going to be a major production and a major expense--neither of which I am in the mood for anytime soon. I've been dying to get the front yard "finished," so I'm glad I didn't wait any longer trying to save $ for the raised bed. Hopefully there will be more progress to show tomorrow!




No comments: